Violence can very much be a part of our lives and it is up to us to decide if we will accept violence or work together against it. The Family Crisis Center is working hard to rid our young people’s lives of the drama of violence. As young people you have enough going on, school, clubs, sports, dances, spending time with friends etc... You and your friends don’t need to put up with unhealthy relationships. If you or a friend needs to talk you can always call our Hotline at 559-784-0192
What Is Teen Dating Violence?
Teen Dating Violence is not an argument every once in a while, or a bad mood after a bad day. Dating Violence is a pattern of violent behavior someone uses against their partner to cause pain.
Did You Know: About 72 % of 8th and 9th graders report “dating”. By the time they are in high school, 54% of students report dating violence among their peers.
Does Anyone You Know Date A Person Who:
- Has a history of trouble with the law, fighting or destroying property?
- Blames others for anything bad that happens?
- Insults people, including family and friends?
- Tries to control who their boyfriend or girlfriend sees or where they go?
- Nags their boyfriend or girlfriend to be more sexual?
- Is physically rough (pushing, shoving, pulling, squeezing or restraining)?
- Accuse their partner of flirting or cheating on them for no good reason?
- Ignores, gives the silent treatment, or hangs up on their partner?
- Dictates how partner dresses or acts?
- Threatens to kill themselves if the relationship ends?
- Experiences mood swings, kind one minute and mean the next?
- Keeps track of their every move through texting, email, phone, facebook, myspace or drop ins?
- Abuses drugs or alcohol?
Look Out For These Signs That Indicate You May Be In An Abusive Relationship:
- You feel afraid to break up with them.
- You feel tied down, like you have to check in.
- You feel afraid to make decisions or bring up certain subjects so the other person will not get mad.
- You tell yourself if you try harder and love your partner enough everything will be just fine.
- You find yourself crying a lot or being very unhappy.
- You find the physical and or emotional abuse getting worse
Are You Abusive??
Do you ever:
- Call your girlfriend/boyfriend names?
- Text or call them excessively and get upset when they don’t respond?
- Monitor their email or profile on a social networking site?
- Feel you have a right or need to know where they are most of the time?
- Get jealous or angry when they spend time with friends or family?
- Ask them to change their clothes or style of dress?
- Get in their face during a disagreement?
- Push, slap, or punch them for any reason?
- Restrain them to keep them from leaving during an argument?
- Guilt or force them into having sex?
- Threaten to hurt them or yourself if your relationship ever ends?